Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Thanksgiving Leftovers

As I trolled through the fridge today looking for my morning protein shake, I once again made a mental note of which leftover Thanksgiving items in which Tupperware containers needed to be combined, so the stuffing stops falling on the floor each time I open the refrigerator door. White meat, dark meat, turkey-stuffed stuffing, vegetarian stuffing, stuffed acorn squash, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, and a container of gravy that has turned from a liquid to a solid… It’s really difficult this time of year to do anything (aka, laundry), let alone keep up with recombining the Thanksgiving leftovers in the fridge.

I sort of realized the other day that with all the distractions surrounding “The Holidays” I hadn’t done my annual mental checklist of everything I’m thankful for. I think that kind of thing gets drilled into your head when you’re a kid in school – trace your hand to make a turkey, followed by making a list of things you’re thankful for. So, in no particular order, I’m thankful for: my car not dying…yet, new skates, fun coworkers, my dog, my boyfriend, my mom, my friends, and my ability to cook a Thanksgiving dinner. I’m sure there are more things that I’m forgetting, like how I was thankful that I didn’t crap my pants after eating an entire bag of sugar free cough drops earlier this week (“excessive consumption may have laxative effect” was in very small print) or how I was thankful that the junior-size sweater tights I just bought fit even though I’m 35lbs over the weight/height limit. Really, I guess I’m more thankful for the little things. After all, those are the things that get you through the day, right?

Yet, it’s funny how those little things get looked over so often. Instead, I usually judge how my day went by one or two negative interactions with coworkers or some asshole who cut me off on the way home from work. And then I take all that negative energy home with me and take it out on my dog and my guy, whether it’s in the form me being short-tempered or just drinking an entire bottle of wine on the sofa and ignoring them. And that’s not cool.

So, as I’m realizing this blog has almost nothing to do with roller derby or size (except for the sweater tights comment above!), I must apologize. I haven’t done this sort of mental inventory in a while, and I’m now entirely off topic.

For me, the holidays are fun because of the anticipation – the preparing food, buying presents, getting ready for parties. But then they pass and what’s left? This year I’m going to make it my goal to not file away the good memories I make like I’ve done with the congealed gravy. I will not let myself be “let down” by the day after. And if I am, I’ll make a great, big turkey sandwich with mayo and stuffing and cranberry sauce and drown my sorrows in tryptophan… And then I’ll scoop myself onto the elliptical and sweat out whole berries.

If you’re in Baltimore this weekend…

Friday the Charm City Roller Girls travel team, CCRG All-Stars, will be guest bartending at Lulu’s off Broadway.

Then on Sunday the Charm City Roller Girls and I will be skating in The Mayor’s Christmas Parade at 2pm in Hampden. We’ll be heading to Common Ground, one of our league sponsors, for some hot beverages afterwards and would love to see you there!

No comments: