Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I Came, I Saw, I Talked (and CCRG Won)

As you may remember, I’ve been pretty fucking geeked preparing for my role as “announcer” at the Charm City vs. Dallas bout. I special ordered an “announcing dress” from Angela at Mode Merr, and it rocked so hard that the dress itself was my sole introduction to the audience by fellow announcer, Dirty Marty.

The dress matched our players uniforms exactly. Angela took the time to match up the yellow of our jerseys with the satin of my dress. It was yellow satin up top, black pencil skirt down below, and 4-and-a-half-inch red patent leather Jessica Simpson heels with matching (red, not patent leather) legwarmers – I looked fucking hot.

Knowing I looked good made me less self conscious about being up there in front of 1,000 fans. It’s weird, I have NO PROBLEM being the center of attention in skates and booty shorts, but I feel awkward in a dress and heels – go figure. It was a whirlwind. I announced and thanked my follow announcers and the crowd, and then I introduced the referees – the whole time having an out-of-body experience.

I’m going to let you in on something you may not know (and that I’m kind of embarrassed about). I used to do drama in high school, and I was the lead in several plays. Every single time I was on the stage, both in rehearsal and at actual performances, I would have the same out-of-body experience. It’s like I went on autopilot – I was physically there saying the words and doing the correct blocking (stage talk for moving around), but I could view myself doing it. Whatever part of me was acting was completely separate from my mind, and at times I would have freak outs as I thought to myself “how is this happening?” while I was performing. It was like that on Sunday.

It happened so fast, and before I knew it, it was over. Our ladies won 117 to Dallas’ 89. After it was all said and done, I think I made some witty remarks, chimed in at appropriate times, and gave a good player perspective.

Yes, being an announcer softened the blow of being at a bout where my league was bouting and I was not playing, but I still felt awkward. Any derby player will tell you, it’s SO HARD to sit on the sidelines and know there’s nothing you can do to help – you can’t jump in there, because you’re a spectator. It’s the same when you’re injured or pregnant on the sidelines with your team as it is when you’re just not on the team playing, and this was my 1st time being at but not skating in a CCRG bout (sans injury). It was hard, and if anything, it solidified the fact that I’m in no way ready to retire from roller derby. I want to skate.

Luckily, I’m captaining a team that’s playing an expo bout at St. Frances Academy on Friday, February 1: Team PBR!!! I love my beautiful dress, and I love to talk, but hell, I really fucking love to skate!


Photo courtesy epmd_derby.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Look how pretty!! But i Wnt to see the whole dress...damn you. Oh and thanks for the blog. I was considerably less bored for 5 minutes.

Dirty Marty said...

Cindy Lop-Her did such an amazing job that I am now CCRG's third most well-known announcer. Announcer fame is measured by being recognized at grocery stores and I am WAY behind.