Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I Gone and Done It Again

Oh, responsibility, you are a drug I just cannot quit. I’ve gone and done it again. I’ve signed up for something else. I offered to captain our B team.

Now, before you go thinking that I jumped right in, I want you to know that I waited 2 full weeks, and when no one stepped forward from the group to be a captain, I decided I had to do it. It’s my responsibility as a vet. And I pretty much run my mouth like a captain regardless if I am one or not, so there – I did it.

For the past few months I’ve been thinking our league has had really low attendance. It was the holidays, and low attendance should be expected, but even after the holidays I noticed people were missing. And then it hit me: people aren’t missing, they’ve retired – and what you see is what you get. CCRG has underwent its biggest mass exodus since our inception this winter. Our four home teams of 16-18 each are now down to about 10 each. I quit captaining my home team, I’ve decided to not try our for our travel team this season – all the while I see gaps, which is why I guess I stepped up to help the B team.

Although we’re down to maybe 40 vets (10 or so of which are left from the initial formation of the league), we have over 80 ladies skating with us now – 40 or so fresh meat. It’s amazing and refreshing to see the excitement in the eyes of these newer ladies, for without them we would exist no more. Then again, if it weren’t for the solid foundation that so many vets built for the past 3 years, we would also exist no more.

I suppose you could say derby is a partnership between the old and the new. In some aspects, I really miss the old. I miss the women who worked so hard on bake sales and car washes so we could have our first closed practice, I miss their conviction, I miss plain old skating with them. But I also see a lot of what I shared with our founders in some of the fresh meat, and that makes me happy too.

It’s funny, because at the beginning of all this, I wanted to be a leader at a time when anyone could have been a leader. Now most days I just want to skate, but my league’s at a point where we need leadership, so I’ll accept the call.

Watch out, B teams everywhere! We’re going to be a force to be reckoned with!

No comments: