Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Accident Prone

Accident prone is a term that has been used to describe me since I was a child. If there was a way to injure yourself with something, I’d figure out how to do it. From fishing hooks embedded in my legs (because I didn’t know how to cast a line) to numerous skateboard and bicycle accidents, I was always getting pavement scrubbed out of my wounds and being bandaged up. One such bicycle accident was pretty bad.

One evening my dad and I went for a bike ride that turned into a race. We were speeding down a hill and needed to make a sharp right to get onto our street when my bike skidded out on some dry pine needles that had collected by the intersection. I laid my bike down and proceeded to skid on my face for what seemed like forever. My dad looked panicked. He made me get back on my bike and continue to “race” home – only this time we were racing because I was seriously injured and we were still about a half mile from home.

My mom screamed when she saw me. All the skin on the right-hand side of my face was gone. My eyebrow was gone, and my eye was already swollen shut. My face wasn’t bleeding per se. It was more of a plasma ooze. I was out of school for at least a month while my face healed, each day my mom inspecting me and hoping I wouldn’t need reconstructive surgery. I was 7 years old when this happened, so I wasn’t too freaked out by it – I guess I hadn’t yet developed that sense of self that would have made me extremely self conscious. I liked that my mom bought me a new pair of red sunglasses, and I liked that I was allowed to wear them indoors when we were running errands. I did not like having to do schoolwork at home and not being able to see my friends at school.

Eventually my face healed and my eyebrow grew back. The only noticeable repercussions from that accident that happened many years ago are a slightly “off” eyebrow and more oil production on the injured side of my face.

Twenty-two years later, and I’m still accident prone. As I sit here typing this I’m about to fall asleep from the muscle relaxers and pain killers, and I have a heating pad wedged between myself and the chair. This time the injury’s not as cool as a bike accident. This time I just overdid it by doing yard work this past weekend. Totally lame.

Even lamer, I had to miss practice last night because of it. Finally, the weather is getting nice here in Baltimore, with an expected high of 56 degrees today – the perfect weather for skating at the Lake after work – but I probably shouldn’t.

Do I wish I wasn’t accident prone? Not really. Yes, it’s hard having those days where you’re “laid up” and can’t do what you want, but if I didn’t do what I want, I suppose I wouldn’t be accident prone. And really, I like doing what I want, so the accidents are totally worth it.

1 comment:

Betty Beatdown said...

If there was a way to injure yourself with something, I’d figure out how to do it.

Yes, I would agree with that :)