Monday, July 21, 2008

As Buddah as My Witness, this Injury is Not Gonna Lick Me!

Oh, for the love of buddah, you all have got to be sick of hearing me talk about injuries by now (I know I’m tired of talking about them), but low and behold, here we are again!

This time last week I was hoping I could scrimmage at RollerCon (and there was a pretty damn good chance that I could). This week, I’m hoping to be able to hang the sponsor banners without assistance and praying to the derby gods that my shoulder will heal enough so that I can still participate in the 8am-boot camp all week long, but we’ll see. I took my sling off to cook dinner last night, and I paid for it; I was almost crying before I went to bed because of the pain, which J so kindly helped alleviate by lightly rubbing my shoulder for about a half hour (this is special, people – J doesn’t usually rub anything of mine for a half hour! well, except for that...).

I don’t know if there is any meaning behind my injuring myself twice in a row – both completely freak incidents. Is there some reason I shouldn’t be skating? Is karma punishing me for something by taking away what I want so much? Then again, I guess sometimes there is no meaning – just unfortunate circumstances.

Once again, I am not giving up. I will not be one of those people who just quits – or lets themself go. I may be out for the remainder of this season, but knowing I’m essentially a season behind where I should be will drive me to be even better than I would be otherwise once I’m able to skate again. This means I’ll continue to exercise as much as I can while injured, and I’ll continue to eat right, as if I’m in training – there will be no “woe is me, pass the Ben & Jerry’s” here. I refuse to sabotage myself and all my hard work and conditioning up until this point! And until the pain goes away, all I can do is force myself to rest my arm and shoulder (something incredibly hard for me to do, but something I will do).

“As buddah is my witness… as buddah is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this, and when it's all over, I'll never not skate again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I'll never not skate again.”*

Okay, so I’m not Scarlet. I’m Cindy – Cindy “freaking” Lop-her, thank you very much!

“Some injuries take a skilled derby girl, and hide her away from the rest of the derby world. I wanna be the one to skate and have fun. Oh, girls, they wanna have fu-un. And Cindy Lop-her refuses to run!”*

*Disclaimer: Okay, I’m lame – a total goober, but did I mention I’m on pain meds? Yeah, I’m blaming my geekiness on that!

1 comment:

DayGlo Divine said...

Can you still do non-contact skating, or is that out, too?