Monday, July 7, 2008

Back in the Saddle

I made the decision last week to move forward and train as if I were playing in the July 26 bout, even if I won’t. For me, this meant a punishing 1 hour bout on the elliptical followed by numerous arm exercises on Saturday followed by my attendance and participation at the CCRG All-Star practice Sunday morning. Today I woke up an hour late and ate a muscle relaxer for breakfast. Holy hell, am I sore (and drooling on myself)!

It’s a good kind of sore, however. Well, it would be a good sore if I didn’t feel like I had needed to be medicated to attend work today. I’m dragging.

I wouldn’t have it any other way though. There seems to come a point where your good habits break down. Beatdown and I have been discussing this for some number of weeks: it takes something like 25 times of performing an action for it to become habit, but it only takes something like 5 times of having missed doing that thing for it to no longer be habit – at least with the good habits like exercising before work and being able to walk away from a table full of pies.

This is part of why injuring yourself is so depressing. You have to slow down – you have to give up your good routines, but then when it’s time to start getting back into the swing of things, those things that were normal before your injury are no longer normal. Normal has reluctantly become perfecting the ass groove on your couch, and it’s painful (mentally and physically) to get back to normal when it comes to physical training and activity.

This upswing has been SO HARD, and I knew it would be because I’ve injured myself on this scale at least twice before, but even knowing that doesn’t provide much comfort. I’m past complaining. I have to be. I just have to do it. That’s why I set that arbitrary date of the July 26 bout. I’m going to at least train like I’m playing in it. Will I be able to? Probably not, but then again I may surprise myself.

Sunday at practice I practiced taking hits, and turning into them, so other people’s shoulders and bodies hit my back, not my shoulder. I also practiced hitting with my ass on my bad side. You do what you gotta do to get back in the saddle. If that means altering how I take and give hits, so be it. In the long run, I’ll have hopefully come out with some better skills (the compensatory skills) than I had going into the injury. I just have to keep looking forward. That’s where I am. I’m not turning back.

1 comment:

Lee Duh said...

yay! we miss you. will see you at practiceon sunday?
rebel