Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Fortune Telling

When I was eleven I had a friend that swore she could tell my future, but really she was just telling me what I wanted to hear – things like “next year you’ll go to the dance with Chris” (Chris being a boy that I had a crush on). I knew it wasn’t true even as she was making her predictions, but I let her do it anyway, because it was fun to envision what my life would be like in different situations.

If someone really, truly could tell you your future, would you want to hear it?

Some people would. Okay, many people would. It’s hard to ignore the predictions of Sylvia Browne that always seem to be airing on Montel when I’m home from work sick. Yes, often times I’m lying on the couch in a Nyquil haze half considering Sylvia’s predictions of the world coming to an end in 2 years. Then comes the part of the show where audience members get to ask Sylvia personal questions about their futures, which almost always consist of the following 3 things: “Will I find love?” “What do you see me doing as a job?” and “Is my [insert dead relative here] okay?”

Sylvia sits on the couch, confident, her facial expressions indicating lack of effort and nonchalance, as she displays her long pink fingernails while fanning out her fingers as she talks. “You will find love, but not now,” “I see you helping people,” and “Of course, honey, everyone on the other side is fine – it’s us over here who aren’t fine!”

Me? I don’t have any burning questions that I’m just dying to know the answer to. Sure, I’m curious about what the future may hold, but I also think some of the great fun in life is finding out first hand. In fact, I think I might be pissed if someone in the know just outright told me my future – what’s the fun in that? And what if I don’t like what they tell me? Assuming someone can tell the future, that would indicate some level of destiny or predetermination within the universe and no matter what I do I won’t be able to change the future, right? So I might as well just sit back and let life happen.

Fuck that. I’m curious about what the future may hold for me, but I’m also hip to the laws of cause and effect, and I enjoy creating my own future, my own reality via the choices I make and actions I take each day.

In my opinion, if you want to find love you have to be an active participant in looking for it and cultivating it. If you don’t know what career you want, assess your wants and needs, where your interests lie, and make a conscious decision to move toward doing whatever that is you want to do. And if you you’re wondering if your dead relative is okay, well, you’re just like everyone else – no one really knows and even when you die you still might not find out.

This is the exciting part of life – in 75 or 80 years you create a lot of somethings from nothing. Again, I’m reminded of something my dad used to say, “Life’s a journey, not a destination,” and that’s how I’d like to keep it.

1 comment:

Holly said...

ray's dad sees a psychic in buffalo and I think it's a load of shit. She told his mom that there is an alter after life where everyone has a house and drives cars, etc..etc. On one level I think it's total crap and it really made me angry to feed this to people but on another level I think it does give comfort and solace. And she even admitted that that did really but her heart at ease, since she lost her young daughter in a terrible accident last year.

...but is it that different than religion then?