Monday, November 10, 2008

Roll Out with Your Hole Out

Well, in true Cindy Lop-her form, I’m not waiting until January to do contact, I’ve decided.

I’ve moved office furniture without shoulder pain, and yet I’ve also been merely tucking in my shirt when my eyes have welled up with tears as if I’ve caught a glimpse of that SPCA commercial with Sarah McLachlan the night before I get my period.

It’s a fucking crap shoot – I have no idea what’s going to happen once I get back out there and try. This also means that my derby career is completely up in the air, and this could very well be my last season if my shoulders don’t hold up. So what’s a girl to do?

I’ve been toying around with the idea of trying out for the All Stars this coming season. I decided not to try out last year, because I was so freaking crazy with Sponsorship and all the admin BS I handle on a regular basis. But I figure that if this may be my last season, I have to make every effort to do it up right. And if I’m completely overreacting and my shoulders are fine, then all the better for me making every effort.

I HATE posting my intentions here, because if I fail I’ll look like an idiot to all you readers. However, if I don’t post my intentions here, it’s easy for me to back out of them for any excuse I can pass over on myself on any given day. So, there. I’ve done it.

It’s going to be a bitch coming back from two consecutive injuries that kept me on the sidelines for 6 months. Just getting back to where I was is going to be hard. Now I’m adding in the goal of trying out for and making the All Stars. I’m officially crazy. Here’s where I’m going to need help:

Speed – I’m not nearly as fast as I need to be, and part of try-outs involves uber-fast pace lines. Fuck.

Agility – I haven’t been in a scrimmage situation in 6 months (minus the 1st night I was back and injured my other shoulder). I need to be quicker on my feet. I need the ability to change direction quickly.

Mental fitness – That’s right, I said mental fitness. I need to regain the mental fitness of being in a pack, being aware of everything that’s going on around me.

Even though we’re on our “off season” right now, I’m going to practice tonight.

So, there it is. Let’s see what happens!

2 comments:

Midlife Crashes said...

Good for you! It's brave to post your goals, it shows commitment. Do it, I'll be rooting for ya!

Hint that worked for me on agility, if you have access to an incline treadmill. Ramp the incline all the way up, set speed somewhere between 1-2 mph, and go backwards. Once you can do that, do some side-stepping. Do crossovers. Turn in circles, BOTH directions. Then do it in a deeper derby stance. Then do it faster. It'll give you ridiculous quads AND really help footwork in the pack.

Cindy Lop-her said...

This sound like some really good agility training. I'm only worried about falling off the treadmill at the gym and looking like an idiot, but I'm going to give this a try! thanks, lady!