Monday, March 2, 2009

New Chapter

It’s no secret that I’ve been absent from writing lately, but trust me that it hurts me just as much as it has hurt you (ha!). I’m happy to kick off a new chapter of my life in derby today, and I can finally reveal the intentions I’ve had for the past two months (which have been so hard to keep off here)!

I decided in January that I would try out for our travel team, the Charm City All Stars, in February. I decided after a conversation with Chairman Meow about how I would never be known for my skating (I would be known for my business influence, he said) that if I were to make the team, I was going to resign my duties as Sponsorship Manager for both WFTDA and RollerCon so I could focus on the All Stars – a bold move for me. Well, after much anxiety and possibly several ulcers, I’m happy to say that I found out on Saturday night that I made the team for the coming quarter, and I contacted my supervisors at WFTDA and RollerCon on Sunday to resign my duties!

Don’t get me wrong, I love sponsorship and if you’re a regular reader then you know that. It was hard for me to even consider giving up these two things that I love to do and that have defined me for the past year of my life, but after nearly 5 years of involvement in derby, I think I finally realized that I cannot do it all, and if I try to do it all I’ll half-ass everything, at best.

I also feel like I’m in this position to really grow as a player, and our league is also in a very unique position where we have the retention, talent, and ability to make it to nationals this coming year, and I would kick myself if I didn’t fully use this opportunity to improve as a player and do everything within my power to help our league accomplish the opportunity it has. When it comes down to it, this means I need to attend all the practices I can (which I haven’t done in the past because I’ve been burnt on admin duties), and I need to spend my spare time training to make my body the best instrument it can be to help my league and I accomplish our goals.

I can honestly say that I didn’t see this coming. I mean, I had hoped I would find myself in this position sometime before I was broken beyond repair or too old to play, but I had no idea I’d change how I operate on the most basic of levels. It’s in my nature to take on everything that comes my way. I’m glad something clicked.

So, how am I doing? Well, I scrimmaged with the All Stars yesterday against Philly’s Heavy Metal Hookers, and I think I did pretty well. The running has made me fast, which helps with the hustle to get to the front of the pack to assist, and my mind feels clearer on the rink than it has ever felt before.

I did make the team, but that doesn’t mean I’ll make the game rosters, and that’s completely fair. I don’t want to be playing because I’ve been around forever or because I do so much for the league or for any other reason than because I’m one of the top 14. I’m at a disadvantage in that we didn’t lose many people, so everyone who returned has already played together and knows strategy better than I do, but I like a challenge. I’ll be working my ass off to make those game rosters – mark my word. I will be one of the top players.

This opens a new chapter in my life of derby, and from here on, I’ll be sharing much of the same as I have previously in my struggle to become a respectable “big” derby girl and come back from consecutive injuries – only this time it will be in the context of the All Stars. It’s been an upward battle for the past 4+ years, but it certainly doesn’t stop here. It’s going to be difficult, and it’s not always going to go the way I want it to go, but I will prevail. Stay tuned for more regular entries, and wish me luck, although I’m really hoping I won’t need it.

5 comments:

Ruth of All Evil said...

YAAAYYY!!
Congratulations!

Midlife Crashes said...

Congratulations! I'm impressed that you were able to be so confident in your priorities. It's a lesson for me, for sure!

Lee aka Rebel said...

awesome. YAY!!!

anna said...

i love you :)

No Celery Please said...

Woo Hoo! Way to Go!