Tuesday, August 3, 2010

That Time of the Month

Anxious to leave work today, I could hardly wait to get to my car so I could listen to a new-to-me Twilight Singers album I just downloaded, and before I had the chance to exit the garage I found myself wondering for the millionth time just what exactly “it” is that makes me so drawn to Dulli as a lyricist. On the surface, it’s the relentless exhibit of desperation he’s willing to endure in exchange for a mere glimpse of love or lust or redemption. Over and over he manages to capture that brief and all too quickly forgotten moment where we leave ourselves completely and utterly exposed – a moment of frightening exhilaration in which (against all better judgment) we put ourselves out there, usually only to be rejected. And unlike me he’s able to convey all that through a single lyric. He’s truly an amazing storyteller, I thought. Then I remembered I was ovulating, and the $9.99 I spent earlier in the day at the iTunes store started to make a hell of a lot more sense.

I’ve read that men are more attracted to a woman who is ovulating, and I don’t doubt that fact – survival of the fittest and all – but I can’t help but wonder if it’s not ovulation itself that makes a woman more attractive but instead the way ovulation makes a woman feel and how she presents herself based on that feeling that makes her more attractive. I tend to suspect it’s the latter, which made me wonder if there isn’t a better time of the month to write erotic narrative. I think I’m onto something…

I’ve always wanted to respond to Bust’s open call for one-handed reads, because I think it would be fun to write one, but much like an old married couple – me and writing – I’m usually not in the mood. Still, it remains something I think I’d like to try one day, and I think that today my overly analytical mind has stumbled on which days I should attempt such writing. Good for me. And good thing I have an app for that too: AppBox Lite (it includes a cycle tracker, and it’s dead on). Now all I need are ideas...

No comments: